The Beginning: ONE OK ROCK's Jinsei x Boku =

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Hi guys and fellow ONE OK ROCKers! 
Here are my thoughts regarding with ONE OK ROCK's Jinsei x Boku =.
Jinsei x Boku = album cover

Jinsei x Boku = is the 6th full-length album of OOR released last March 6, 2013. At first I was confused on how to read the album's title. I would use the term "Jinsei-Boku" before, but it's actually read as 'Jinsei kakete boku wa', and according to some sources, it simply means 'I will risk my life to...'. Now that's deep.

Among all albums of ONE OK ROCK, this is my number one favorite. Why? Simple. It's this album that the band really did their best to reveal themselves to their fans. Most of the songs from this album were inspired by their own musical influences, such as Linkin' Park. I've read a lot of comments in the web that this album made ONE OK ROCK go mainstream, but I personally don't agree with that, 'cause there are tracks, like 'Deeper Deeper', that's not mainstream at all. 
Anyways, let's move on...

The Tracks:
  • Introduction~Where idiot should go~ - Once the cello started to play its strings, I know that it's going to give a heavy feeling, but on the later part of this introduction, the music gets lighter, it's as if hope will always bring light to a person's life. The intro's quite nice actually.
  • Ending Story?? - At first, Taka starts to whisper, and then he screams! I love the way he screams by the way haha. Anyways, this track is one of my faves from this album, and they really did show something new because Taka did rap in this song.
  • ONION! - "Life is like an ONION!"...Yeah and now their talking. I'm not really a huge fan of this track, but it's definitely promising as they want to let their audience listen to their songs about life and stuff. 
  • The Beginning - I hereby declare that this song made ONE OK ROCK popular all across the globe. Takeru Sato asked Taka to write a song for the movie 'Rurouni Kenshin' and he did not fail. The movie became a great hit, and so as the soundtrack. What I love about this song is the message and the way they interpret it musically. A lot of people can relate to it because it's all about fighting for something that's precious to you. 'The Beginning' was also the key for the band's new beginning, as they became one of the world's top bands today. 

  • Clock Strikes - This soooooong!!! This is the reason why I fell in love with this band a lot! And I heard it in a live version, which means that they are REALLY that awesome. Until now, whenever I hear this one, I always feel a lot of emotions. For me this song, even when I don't understand all of it 'cause most lyrics are in Japanese, touches my soul. Really gives me the feels of positivity and hope, and I bet some fans do feel it too.
screen cap of 'Clock Strikes' MV


  • Be The Light - It's one of this album's ballads and this song's really emotional. I love it when Taka pours a lot of emotions in a song because it really affects whoever listens to it. What's special about this one is that it's a pure English track, must be because he really intended to reach out to a lot of people as much as possible, and his English keeps getting better and better every album. Definitely one of my faves, and it's a must-listen track. 

  • Nothing Helps - Another English track! I like this song a lot. Seems like they're telling their own band's story to their fans. I've gotta say, it's one of those OOR songs that I'm proud of. For me 'Nothing Helps' is like a prequel of the next track - 'Juvenile'.
  • Juvenile - A song about knowing what you want in life and chasing after them. This track's giving me more reasons to love this album. At first, I thought this was a chill kind of rock song, but at the bridge, Taka top it off with a scream, and that made this track more passionate than ever. Honestly, this is one of my fave songs of the band.
  • All Mine - I've heard that this is Ryota's fave song from this album...awwww isn't that romantic? I love it how they put variety in this album. This song, 'All Mine', is a mellow track. Just the piano, cello, and violin all together. This is also one of my faves from the album. So, if you're looking for a romantic, mellow, and sweet track that's perfect for a slow dance, then it's gotta be this one! 
  • Smiling Down - I'm not really a fan of this track. But again, they are putting variety to this album. For me, this is an emo track. It's also worth listening to anyway. Whenever I hear this one, it reminds me of the band The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus...just sayin'.
  • Deeper Deeper - I really really wanna see the band play this song LIVE! Deeper Deeper is this album's hard rock track. Whenever I hear this one, I'm craving for more of their music. The intro, the bass, the drums, the guitar, and the vocals blend perfectly to make that ultimate rock track that's gonna make the fans scream...'soshite good good days!!!'

  • 69 - I know what your thinking, but that's NOT it! Sorry to disappoint you, but this is not a sex track. Nope! Not at all! LOL XD '69' simply means 'rock' (roku is 6 in Japanese, and ku is 9 in Japanese, all together it's 'rokku'). In this track, you can hear more of Taka rapping. I find this one interesting and it's one of those OOR tracks that have a very good musicality. I love Toru's guitar here! If you ever feel like dancing to rock, then this gotta be it.
  • the same as... - It started with just the piano and Taka, then after the first chorus, the band comes in with a bang! Next the verses were sang gently and heartfelt, and also the band toned down a bit, but during the second refrain, the band goes louder. The track's full of transition and for me it's not bad 'cause the transitions did match the lyrics after all. This is not really one of my favorite tracks from the album, but it's also a good one.

Overall: 10/10! For me the line up of the whole album is perfect. Song after song, it tells a story. A story that ONE OK ROCK wants to share not only to their fans, but also to the people who seeks for themselves, realizing their dreams, and helping them reach it.


...and to sum it all up, 
  • This album, Jinsei x Boku =, is definitely NOT mainstream for me. In my opinion, the band just wanna give a plate of variety to their fans, and a lot of them misinterpret the genre of the album.
  • ONE OK ROCK took it to a whole new level. They included four (4) English tracks this time: 'Be The Light', 'Nothing Helps', Juvenile', and 'All mine'.
  • Though most songs are still in Japlish (Japanese/English), I've noticed that there are more English lyrics to the songs than the Japanese lyrics. Well, there are some.

...and that's it! whew!
I really love the Jinsei x Boku = ! Maybe because this album was a little bit more personal to the band. You can really get to know them a little bit more through the tracks of this album. They've only got one message to the listeners and that's: whatever your dream is, follow it and make it yours.
Damn! I really wanna meet them someday 'cause they're really nice.

I hope this review/insights of Jinsei x Boku = of mine inspired you to listen to ONE OK ROCK (well, that's if you haven't heard of them though). They're definitely one of the best bands in this generation ever!

'till next post! - k*

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. Thanks for write this. Really help newbie like me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Feel free to read more of my posts related to ONE OK ROCK. They're my fave band.

      Delete
  2. I love how you describe OOR, they are genius musicians. Talented, genuine and kindnes in same time.I realy adore and addicted to them since I heard they live performance of the Beginning. They put they soul in they performs. Love OOR

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello I'm glad I found and read your article about one ok rock I'm so interested . Would you mind if I ask what is the meaning of X on taka's hand while performing live concerts during their early days. But now I don't see it anymore .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. No one really knows the exact meaning of the "X" on his hands. But it definitely resembles the X on the album title at that time, which means "I will risk my life to.."

      Delete

Followers

Visit: Beauty & Blogging

Visit: Beauty & Blogging
Beauty Blog